|Anthologies, Autobiography, Books, Campus Life, Media Archive, Social Science, United States on 2014-02-06 13:51Z by Steven|
Cornell University Press
6 x 9 in.
Hardcover ISBN: 978-0-8014-5251-2
Paperback ISBN: 978-0-8014-7914-4
Andrew Garrod, Professor Emeritus of Education
Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire
Christina Gómez, Professor of Sociology and Latino & Latin American Studies
Northeastern Illinois University
Robert Kilkenny, Executive Director; Clinical Associate
Alliance for Inclusion and Prevention
School of Social Work
Simmons College, Boston, Massachusetts
Mixed presents engaging and incisive first-person experiences of what it is like to be multiracial in what is supposedly a postracial world. Bringing together twelve essays by college students who identify themselves as multiracial, this book considers what this identity means in a reality that occasionally resembles the post-racial dream of some and at other times recalls a familiar world of racial and ethnic prejudice.
Exploring a wide range of concerns and anxieties, aspirations and ambitions, these young writers, who all attended Dartmouth College, come from a variety of racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Unlike individuals who define themselves as having one racial identity, these students have lived the complexity of their identity from a very young age. In Mixed, a book that will benefit educators, students, and their families, they eloquently and often passionately reveal how they experience their multiracial identity, how their parents’ race or ethnicity shaped their childhoods, and how perceptions of their race have affected their relationships.
- Part I. Who Am I?
- 1. Good Hair / Ana Sofia De Brito
- 2. So, What Are You? / Chris Collado
- 3. In My World 1+1 = 3 / Yuki Kondo-Shah
- 4. A Sort of Hybrid / Allison Bates
- Part II. In-Betweenness
- 5. Seeking to Be Whole / Shannon Joyce Prince
- 6. The Development of a Happa / Thomas Lane
- 7. A Little Plot of No-Man’s-Land / Ki Mae Ponniah Heussner
- 8. Finding Blackness / Samiir Bolsten
- Part III. A Different Perspective
- 9. Chow Mein Kampf / Taica Hsu
- 10. A Work in Progress / Anise Vance
- 11. We Aren’t That Different / Dean O’Brien
- 12. Finding Zion / Lola Shannon
- About the Editors